Education system in India
Education is the process by which society deliberately transmits its knowledge, skills and values from one generation to another. The right to education has been described as a basic human right since 1952, Article 2 of the first Protocol to the European Convention on Human Rights obliges all signatory parties to guarantee the right to education.
Central Government is responsible for major policy relating to higher education in the country. It provides grants to UGC and establishes central universities in the country. The Central Government is also responsible for declaration of Education Institutions as ‘Deemed to be University’ on the recommendation of the UGC.
The Indian Constitution is committed to the equality of citizens. The Directive Principles of the Government Policy is also to promote with special care the educational and economic interests of the weaker sections of the people and in particular, of the SC/STs and Minorities. To achieve the objective of "Equality" with many facets, special provisions have been made in the constitution of India.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development, on 26 september, 1985, under 174th amendment to the Government of India rules 1961. Currently the Ministry has two departments namely
- Department of school education & literacy
- Department of higher education
- Teacher Education
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan
- Mid-Day Meal Scheme
- Mahila Samakhya Scheme
- National Council of Educational Research & Training
- Central Board of Secondary Education
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
- Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti
- National Institute of Open Schooline
- National Foundation for Teachers' Welfare
- Recognized Board of Secondary Education in India Schemes
- Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA)
- Girls Hostel
- Model School
- ICT Schools
- Inclusive Education for Disabled at Secondary State
- Incentives to Girls for Secondary Education
- National Merit cum Means Scholarship
- Financial Assistance for Appointment of language Teachers
- Vocationalisation of Secondary Education
- Adolescence Education Programme
It is responsible for establishment of new institution, startup of new wings, streams and subjects in already established institutions. Education Act & Rules framed there under is the guiding law for the department.