The Consumer Protection Act 1986
Meaning of Consumer
Consumer Protection Act is meant for ordinary consumers. It help consumers to get their rights, quality goods in affordable price without any delay.
Any person who
- buys any goods for a consideration which has been paid or promised or partly paid & partly promised, or under any system of deferred payment & user of such goods.
- get services for a consideration which has been paid or promised or partly paid & partly promised, or under any system of deferred payment & includes & beneficiaries of such services.
The Consumer Protection Act extends to all parts except Jammu & Kashmir.
Consumer protection Act 1986
This Act provides for better protection of interest of Consumers & for that purpose to make provision for establishment of consumer councils & other authorities for the settlement of consumer councils & other authorities for the settlement of consumer disputes & for matters concerned with the Consumer rights.
This Act has been passed to protect the interest of Consumers. This Act shall apply to tall goods & services.
The Central Consumer Protection Council
The Central Government by notification, has established the provision for Consumer Protection Council referred to us as the Central Council.
The following members are the Office bearer of the Central Consumer Protection Council
- The Minister in charge of Consumer Protection Officer of the Centre, who shall be its chairman
- Such numbers of other official or non-official members representing such interest as may be prescribed by the Council
- Procedure for the meeting of the Central Council
The Central Council shall meet as & where necessary, but at least one meeting of the council shall be held in every year
- The Central Council shall meet at such time & place as the Chairman may think fit & shall observe such procedure on regards to the transaction of this business as per the requirement.
The State Consumer Protection Council
The State Government by notification set-up the probhision of State Consumer Protection Council. The State Council is consisting of the Minister in charge of Consumer affairs of the State who should be the Chairman.
The District Consumer Protection Council
The State has provision for establishing Consumer Protection Council at the District level by the Government Gazetted Notification, which is known as DCPC. The District Collector of the District must be the Chairman.
Objective of the Central/State/District Protection Council
The objective of the Central Council shall be
- to promote & protect the rights of the Consumers
- to be protected against the marketing of the goods & services which are hazardous to life & property.
- to be inform about the quality, quantity, potency, purity, standard & price of goods for services as the case may be so as to protect the consumer against unfair trained practices.
- to be assured wherever possible, access to a varieties of goods, services at comparative prices
- to be heared & to be assured the consumers interest will received due consideration in appropriate forum
- to seek redressal against unfair trade practices or respective trade practice
- to get Consumer Education
The poor, marginalized and the consumers from rural areas, who are the largest group of consumers (estimated at over 700 Million out of the 1 Billion population of the Country).